version 1.4 documentation?

version 1.4 documentation?

Postby JohnnyBob » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:11 am

I've been away a long time, just returning, and when I download FinalGen now it says version 1.4. I can't find any documentation of that version. The last I had used was version 1.3. What are the changes from 1.3 to 1.4? Thanks...
JohnnyBob

Re: version 1.4 documentation?

Postby JohnnyBob » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:00 am

FYI...

I've just installed FinalGen version 1.4 on a Windows 8.1 machine, in Windows 7 compatibility mode, and gave "Everyone" complete permissions to access. I installed it in its own folder on the root C: drive, not in the default C:\Program Files(86) folder, to try to avoid any system security problems. It seemed to install OK, and is running OK, so far...

The only difference I notice so far from prior versions is that it pasted my FEN position from the clipboard OK without any complaints, which only had the usual simple "w - -" suffix. Prior versions of FinalGen apparently wanted a longer, more complete suffix and returned an error initially (but then ran OK). So that's an apparent improvement.

The position I'm running has a fairly short run time of an hour or so, then I'll report back here with any other differences that I notice...
--------------
The Yes and No buttons in the operational dialogs are blank but appear to work OK when clicked (if I "guess" correctly which is which!?).
The position I ran is shown below. It completed OK, but I don't understand the "Unsolved" situation for 3 of the 4 possible moves. I suppose that I must go looking and read the FAQs again...!?
--------------
Making the obvious king capture doesn't help...still Unsolved...
Attachments
FinalGen1.4test2x80.png
FinalGen1.4test2x80.png (78.59 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
FinalGen1.4testx80.png
FinalGen1.4testx80.png (86.04 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
JohnnyBob

Re: version 1.4 documentation?

Postby pPerez » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Hello,

The kernel is identical for all versions, so the version 1.0 is not different than the version 1.4 in terms of capabilities, speed, disk requirements, and so on.
Differences between versions only involve changes in the user interface and I also fixed a problem about folder permissions for Windows 7.
So basically you can continue using the version 1.3 or the 1.4, as you want.

I don't remember exactly the minor differences between version 1.3 and 1.4. I think the update about the FEN position was one of them. The main one was the translation to italian language.

Someone else reported also the problem about the buttons, but I could not fix it because I could not reproduce the problem. I have tested in several computers with different versions of Windows and the buttons displayed correctly in all cases.

Regarding the unsolved situation in the position you submitted:
- For move Kxg5 : It is more or less clear than after this move Black can push the "h" pawn and transpose into a queen ending. Finalgen cannot solve it because two promotions at least are required to solve the position.
- Kh5 Kg6 : I don't know exactly what FinalGen did not like about those moves, and what makes the difference with Kg7. I will generate the position and I let you know if I find something.
pPerez
Site Admin

Return to FinalGen EndGame Generator Forum