Creating a new project not possible?

Creating a new project not possible?

Postby belka » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi Pedro,

I am using your fine tablebases generating tool up to today, and I appreciate it very much!

But over the last days I experienced a bad surprise, as following:
I started a larger project KNPPPkbpp with the hope I could discover a win for White yet. After one day it was clear my hard disk space would not be sufficiently (yes, FinalGen working folder is compressed by Windows). So I added another hard disk to my system, installed FinalGen again on this additional hard disk, created an identical working folder, copied all generated tablebases so far from one hard disk to the other and wished to resume the project on that second hard disk.
But I failed, FinalGen delivered an error message and crashed. Even another FinalGen installing and even deleting all tablebases generated so far in the working folder with the idea to start the project from cratch didn't work: every time I started FinalGen I was faced with my old project status stage?!
The only thing which worked was to return to my old FinalGen working folder on that too small hard disk.

1. Do you have a hint to me for this situation as described above?
2. In general: what had one to do in order to pause an old project and to start a new one (with different FinalGen working folder, of course)?
3. Where is all project specific information stored? I couldn't find a FinalGen configuration file of any kind or information in Windows registry.

Thank you so much!
belka
belka

Re: Creating a new project not possible?

Postby pPerez » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:11 pm

Hello Belka,

The actions you did seem good to me, so it should have worked. Most likely the configuration file has got corrupted.
The configuration file is named Finalgen.cfg and it is located in application folder (in my computer the path is C:\Users\User name\AppData\Roaming)
This file stores the current settings, like the last position generated, the working path, the progress and statistics of last position, language, and so on.

To answer the first question, all you have to do is to delete it and open finalgen again. A proper config file with default settings will be created.

Second question: you can copy the files in another hard disk exactly like you did, and change the working folder to reference the new folder. To the question "do you want to resume or start a new one", please answer "start a new one". Finalgen will detect that data exist already, so those data will not be generated again. So in fact, it is actually resuming the process. If you answer "resume the old generation" it will attempt to work in the old hard disk, so it is not good.

Third question: Already answered,

I hope this will help

Regards,

Pedro
pPerez
Site Admin

Postby belka » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:33 pm

Hi Pedro,

thank you for your reply!

Maybe I was not clear enough so again:
I added another hard disk to my system, installed FinalGen a 2nd time on this additional hard disk, created an identical working folder and copied all generated tablebases so far from one hard disk to the other so having two FinalGen installments on two different hard disks on my system!
And as I wished to resume the project with the latter FinalGen installment on that second (additional and larger) hard disk I failed because this project's information was yet stored in configuration file for the first (former and older) FinalGen installment on the too small hard disk forcing a conflict with path information?!
What do you think?

The configuration file is named Finalgen.cfg and it is located in application folder (in my computer the path is C:\Users\User name\AppData\Roaming)
This file stores the current settings, like the last position generated, the working path, the progress and statistics of last position, language, and so on. wrote:

Thank you! I curse Microsoft for this Windows behaving. A program's configuration file should be stored in the program folder, and nowhere else. :(

To answer the first question, all you have to do is to delete it and open finalgen again. A proper config file with default settings will be created. wrote:

I see but I would lose information of my running (paused) project?!

And to my 2nd question, maybe not clear enough again: In general, what had one to do in order to pause a running project temporarly and to start a new one in parallel to former project (with different FinalGen working folder, of course)?

Another problem referring to reqired disk space: what does that mean, e.g. "1TB, 273GB"? Is that correct: "1,273 GB" in total, and uncompressed?

Thank you so much!
belka

Postby pPerez » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:56 pm

There is only one configuration file, even if you have more than one installation, the config file will keep the information from the last instance used.
But this is not a (big) problem. The generation will not start from scratch in any case if data are already there, they will not be generated again, The process will be resumed from the last point, but you have to answer "No, generate a new tablebase from the current position" (yes , I know this is counter intuitive)

The only problem is that you will have to set the position and switch between folders manually.

You can even launch more than one instances of Finalgen, providing that working folders are different, not necesarily from 2 different inslallations, each instance will point to its working folder. The settings are read from the file when opening the application and stored back in the file when the application is closed, so each instance will keep their own settings.

Yes, 1TB, 273GB" means: 1 tera byte and 273 GB, that is, 1273 GB aproximatively (I have removed the comma to avoid confusion with the decimal point). This is the total amount of "uncompressed" hard disk required.
With standard windows compression, you have to divide this amount by 4 more or less to calculate the real requirement.
pPerez
Site Admin

Postby belka » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi Pedro,

thank you for your time!

There is only one configuration file, even if you have more than one installation, the config file will keep the information from the last instance used.
But this is not a (big) problem. The generation will not start from scratch in any case if data are already there, they will not be generated again, The process will be resumed from the last point, but you have to answer "No, generate a new tablebase from the current position" (yes , I know this is counter intuitive)

I understood as following:
    - One configuration file maintains all projects having run so far. And this is true even for several FinalGen instances on same system.
    - In order to repair a corrupted configuration file one has just to point to the correct path of project folder, to paste a project relevant FEN string and
    to repeat the tablebases generating procedure with the option "No, generate a new tablebase from the current position",
    now done within minutes while all data are already there so not generated again.
    - It is fine to generate tablebases in a first step in the "Search for a draw" mode and after finishing to enhance those tablebases while repeating generating tablebases
    procedure in same project folder in "Normal Mode" with the option "No, generate a new tablebase from the current position".
    All tablebases already generated keep sufficient and won't be generated renewed.

With standard windows compression, you have to divide this amount by 4 more or less to calculate the real requirement.

How reliable is that estimation? It's important to recognise whether hard disk space is sufficient yet.

And last but not least I would offer my assistance when developing FinalGen. My preferences: working as a beta tester for ChessPartner by Lokasoft, Aquarium by Convekta and Freezer by Eiko Bleicher, and that over years, and many ideas and even major ones of mine were integrated.

regards
belka
belka

Return to FinalGen EndGame Generator Forum