Finalgen is awesome.

Finalgen is awesome.

Postby lumi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:24 pm

Ok. Serious newbie question about to be asked : )
What is the binary format of the information stored to disk by Finalgen? Some version of FEN?
As a computer engineer, would be interested in helping with compression to disk issues...which are Finalgen's biggest weakness as far as I can tell.
Has the creator thought about decompression of some incredibly binary format at result read-out time? Also, in draw mode maybe list just win or draw then calculate the number of moves etc at read-out time? :D
lumi

Re: Finalgen is awesome.

Postby ripost » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi, I am not sure if much is happening with this software?
I got some ideas too.

For example, the entire database could be distributed to all the users over torrent or similar. That way, if you need a position someone else already has solved, you could download it from them (if it is faster).

This way, all the clients could participate in a grid network and solve unsolved positions automatically (when the computer is idle for example).

Stig
ripost

Re: Finalgen is awesome.

Postby ChemChess » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Couldn't agree more. I'm not sure if the program's creator is still around (it seems like he pops into the forums every so often but is very busy irl, which is a shame), but I think this program has ALOT of potential. Its implementation of retrograde analysis is quite fascinating, and I can think of quite a few applications (even outside of chess) that could potentially benefit from these algorithms. Oh how I wish this was open-source. The progress that could be made would be awesome.
ChemChess

Return to FinalGen EndGame Generator Forum