Speed-ups from USB3 and SS ?

Speed-ups from USB3 and SS ?

Postby guyhaw » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:33 am

I recently FinalGen'd a position from the TCEC Cup: LC0-Ethereal, Game 14, position 94w.

F'gen says 'win in 80' and it's certainly a win if either the f- or g-pawns are removed.

The computation took 40 hours, so 'kudos' to F'gen for standing up for that long. I was running with a HDD on USB2.

My question is: what speed up would I get from (a) USB3, (b) SDD, (c) USB3+SDD?

Also, there were ideas for publishing Fgen'd position in this forum. Interesting positions (with time and GB-needed) would be useful.

I believe that F'gen asks for, e.g., 1TB, but uses about a third of this as it compresses files as it goes along.

g
guyhaw

Factors affecting FinalGen performance

Postby guyhaw » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Got a first answer re SSD: running with an internal 0.5TB M.2 Samsung SSD on a 2018 pc is about 5x quicker than on my 2014 pc with HDD on USB2.

Running with Windows-compression on obviously slows things down, so seems best to Windows-compress afterwards if space allows.

Running PPR's Example 3 in 'draw mode' and not makes a remarkable difference. Clearly best to run 'draw mode' first, especially if it's a draw.

Wondering what is the algorithm that determines the number of FinalGen files and folders: advice welcome.

g
guyhaw

Return to FinalGen EndGame Generator Forum